Heather's Honey Lemon Balm Jelly
April 22, 2020 • 0 comments
- (3 cups, packed) Lemon Balm
- (6 cups) Water
- (2 cups (1/2 cup more or less to suit taste)) Honey - Carolina Blonde - 1.5 lb Squeeze
- (2 lemons) Lemon Zest and Juice
- (8 teaspoons) Pomana Universal Pectin
- (8 teaspoons (comes with Pomona's Pectin)) Calcium water
I found this recipe while searching for ways to utilize this tangy, unique herb. Heather Brug's "beauty that moves" blog about life, yoga, herbs, and everything in-between.
Find the Original Recipe and Blog post here: https://beautythatmoves.typepa...
.1. In very hot water, wash and rinse 8 half pint canning jars. This can be done by hand or in the dishwasher. Do this right before ready to use so jars are still hot.
2. Add lids and rings to a large pot and cover with water. Bring to a strong simmer but do not boil. Keep lids and rings in hot water as you prepare jam.
3. Bring the water to a boil in a saucepan and stir in the lemon balm . Remove from heat, cover, and let the mixture steep for 20 minutes. Strain the "tea" squeezing the leaves to remove all the liquid.
4. Stir in the fresh lemon juice, zest and calcium water. You should have very close to 6 cups of liquid after the lemon juice is added. If you don't, add enough water to make 6 cups.
5. Measure honey and pectin into a separate bowl, stir thoroughly (you can start with less honey and add more later).
6. In a saucepan over the highest possible heat, bring the "tea" mixture to a boil then add the honey/pectin mixture. Check (taste) to see at this time if you would like to add more honey. Bring mixture back up to a hard rolling boil, time it for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Now it is time to transfer the jelly to jars.
7. Using a sterilized wide mouth funnel and small measuring cup as a scoop, fill hot/clean jars leaving 1/4" head space at the top. Place lids on the top and screw on bands, not too tightly.
8. Process jars in boiling water for 10 minutes. (Add one minute more for every 1,000 feet of elevation.)
9. Using a jar lifter, remove from water once processed. Allow to sit in one spot and cool completely.
10. Add to your pantry!